samedi, août 13, 2005

Hungry enough to eat a horse!

I know that this entry may lose me half of my friends ;)

I do love horses. Really. The proof is that I draw them in almost every third panel of my comics. I also do own 2 horses.

In old times, horses where highly appreciated, because people depended on them. When motorized vehicles began to conquer the streets, several people thought that horses will disappear from the earth. But fortunally, very soon horse riding for pleasure came into fashion and so the horses remained a part of the human's lives.

In old times, to have a horse was primary a boy's dream. Of course: A fearless knight, a wild cow-boy or a brave soldier needs a trusty steed. But nowadays, Boys dream of cars and motorcycles. So the renaissance of equestrian sports is first of all a feminine one.

In old times, horses were highly appreciated. I already mentioned it.
But what we like to forget is: When the horse was old and weary, it was slaughtered - most of the time.
Because the owner simply didn't have enough resources to feed and stall up a useless horse. And also for the benefit of the horse itself. Because Nature didn't really plan to grow hoofed vegetarian animals really old. The lifelong chewing of tough grass flattens the teeth down to complete wrecking.

That's why old horses are often skinny. In the wilderness such horses became the prey of wolves. In our civilization they are nursed to death.

Back in pious times, the old horse was just killed and thrown away or processed as dog-food. Because pope Gregor III outlawed horsemeat in order to fight pagan practices.
In the 19th century some people with common sense suggested that it would be better to slaughter an old horse and sell its meat cheap to starving worker families. So the first horse-butcheries raised up.


But that's history.
Not that horses don't grow old anymore these days, But go and tell a girlie with posters of pink unicorns all over her walls that horses do not live forever, if there weren't any evil butchers.

In California, a new law prohibits the killing of horses for human consumption. Not for pet food!
Because an uninformed public was ready to believe the crap of the "horse-rescuers" that the killing of a horse for human-consumption was more cruel than killing it for per food.

Excuse me, but what a Bullshit!

You can't give the carcass of a horse that was put down by the veterinarian with heavy toxics to any pet! Your dog would get poisonned. I mean: Do you know the amount of toxics it takes to stop the heart of a HORSE?

Pet-food has to be healthy, bled-out flesh just like meat for humans.

In France, we traditionally liked horse-meat.
But now, even here we have a nasty campaign that claims: "A horse is not for eating".

I am sick and sad of the terrorism by those little girls who mistake a horse for a puppy and groom them like a Barbie doll, as a substitue for a boy-friend. I have enough of those self-rightous horsy-nuts who think they have the right to tell other people what they are allowed to eat.

Heck - Why is a horse supposed to be more worthy than a cow? Was there ever a campain against cow-meat? Cows are killed the same way and nobody cares.
Pigs are killed worse and people care even less. I do respect vegetarians who don't eat any meat at all, but not those animal-racists who have no problem to eat a poor pig that's never seen daylight all in its life but want to lynch ME for eating horse-meat.

Yes, I am opposed to horse-abuse.
I don't want to see them transported in crowed trucks all over the country, without water and food. But if a horse is killed in a near butchery, I don't see any harm in it. I am an old heathen and like my ancestors before the papal decret, I honour the horse by not waisting its precious flesh.
I don't force anybody to eat horse-meat. But just accept that I do so.

21 commentaires:

mauser*girl a dit…

I've had horse before and it's not particularly a meat I like, but seriously, horses are working animals, not pets.

JgStephan a dit…

I don't eat horse meat but I am of the same view like you. However, if I'm hungry enough, I also would eat it.

Anonyme a dit…

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a cars site/blog. It pretty much covers ##KEYWORD## related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

See Ya There!!!

Anonyme a dit…

I really like your dodge related blog site. I have a dodge related web site at dodge. If you're into dodge. You will want to check it out.

Anonyme a dit…

Horse slaughter is not a solution to old or lame horses. In fact, most horses that end up in slaughter houses are young and sound. Regardless, it is inhummane to make an old or sick horse endure a long trailer ride and slaughter house conditions. Young horses off the track are also often sent directly to a slaughter house after a race. these horses can be ridden and successfully shown. Also, if you eat horses from the US, you are eating meat filled with possible contaminants. There are no regulations on horse medications that are on fit for human consumtion. Americans love to give both horses(and themselves) a cocktail of medications to make a problem go away. These often include "bute"(anti-inflammatory), wormers, seditives and supplements(all with a little label that says "not for horses intended for human consumption."). If a horse is unable live comfortably, the only option is to give them a dignified death.

****Also horse is not a common ingredient in pet food or glue for that matter.

sam a dit…

.I am a vegitarian myself and unlike you said i do care about the slaughter of pigs and cows and chickens and every other animal that is used for meat. i dont agree with the fact at all about eating horse meat. i also dont agree with eating meat. i do understand that people do eat meat but that doesn't meen that i hafto agree with it. i think that horses are pets aswell but other people such as yourself would disagree with me and tell me that im wrong and think that they are working animals, but me myself have wanted a horse for as long as i can remember. and i thinlk that u are wrong about eating horse meat and i'm sure that alot of people out there would agree with me.i feel very strong and have a great passion with animals and think that eating meat is wrong.people being cruel to animals will be prosecuted.

animal cruelty is wrong

sincerly sam

Anonyme a dit…

i am completly against horse slaughter im sorry but i am and im against abuse and neglect i dont if people eat horses in other countries then slaughter them there but in America we dont eat horse meat also horses have been through alot with us and have lost their lives fighting for us so this is how we repay them?
IM AGAINST HORSE SLAUGHTER!
AND NEGLECT AND ABUSE TO ANIMALS!

Anonyme a dit…

Hello i am a 15 year old girl and i own 8 horses. i have a great love for horses. Horses are not just working animals they are pets. i ride for the pleasure of it and competition.

When a horse is old and can't go on do u and the horse a favor and shoot him or put him down. slaughter is soooo inhumane it is unbareable, most of the horses are still awake while they are having there throat cut out :(.A horse will stand in line being ready to be killed and hear the cries of the horse ahead of him. That horse is now being stabbed repeatedly in the head with a 4 inch nail. Feeling alone and scared he violently starts jumping and slips on the blood and urine filled floors.yes its true doesn't sound so great.

I also think this is a poor way to thank the horse for all hes done for us. they have been here for us since the begining. they took us every where, worked for us, died for us, and now bring pleasure to us. All they do is give us their heart and give their all for us when we ask them, and this is how you want him to remember us.

I have a kind understanding additude about every horse and even if it was not my horse being slaughtered i woulde cry my eyes out just seeing the poor defenceless creature struggle. HORSES ARE SMART,LOYAL,KIND,AND BEAUTIFUL CREATURES. THEY DO NOT DESERVE THIS!!.............................................Thank you now go outside, tell ur horse you love him and go and ride. <3

Anonyme a dit…

I agree with those people , who think that animal cruelty is sick and wrong . And I'm really sorry about those litte foals who die painfully soon after they're born .
Also those all other animals who have to suffer .
So , please , stop it !

Anonyme a dit…

Its refreshing to read the comments posted here. The HSUS thinks it has a victory by closing the kill plants but in fact they are the cause for even more extensive abuse and neglect as well as accoutable for the horrible kill practices endured by these animals in Mexico.
I believe there should be a kill house in every state. That would ensure that horses don't have to endure long transport rides or be left in feedlots without food for extended periods. Federal standards should be developed, implemented, monitored and maintained to ensure that ALL animals are transported, handled and killed humanely.
HSUS wants the public to believe in them and that gets them the donation dollars. BTW - what did they do with the surplus of $16 million dollars from Katrina donations? Hmmm... no one makes them accountable.
Banning horse slaughter is not the answer. The efforts and focus need to be on humane handling and animal welfare.
Odd that te HSUS core arguement was not the inhumane treatment of the horses but that the 'American horses were not for the dinner plate of europeans'.
Now a Canadian group wants to venture out and ban horse slaughter as well. They get the public on their side by only stating one side of the story. By tugging at the heart strings. Its nothing short of propaganda. People need to realize the core areas that need to be addressed. HSUS videos clearly show the core areas yet they don't identify them. Watch their videos.. shows the transportation, the feedlots etc. Shows horses that are brain dead but legs moving. These horses are brain dead but easy to make the public believe otherwise.
If there were more slaughterhouses and enforced national standards, then every animal would have the opportunity to die humanely.

Anonyme a dit…

I think any1 who could support slaughter period is a sick person with no feelings i am not a vegetarian but the second i move out i will become 1 i have 4 and a pony that otherwise would b on a plate the pony is wild the youngest horse is wild 1 is to old 4 any1 to want she's a retired 3 time world champion barrel racer so she's had a full life but unless she gets sick i refuse to allow any of my horses b killed and even then they are to b humanaly euthanized they are not only my friends they are my pets if anything ever happened to any of them that i could stop i would absolutly hate myself 4 it slaughters of any kind are cruel and pointless who said any of us NEED mean no1 we dont humans were meant to b vegaterains we do not have the teeth or the ability to kill animals with out tools unless we do like they do in rodeo's and honestly i'd like to see a single human catch a wild animal when its not caged it horses have died at our sides we do not repay them with death i dont care if you think differantly than me that is my opinion and i do have the facts I need for myself it's cruel it's a horrible death and horses panic the whole time they are at the slaughter house and many of them get trampled many horses only are hurt when they get to where they are to be killed because of being hurt by other horses while in the lorry's or at the slaughter

that is my opinion and not just for horses for any animal.

Anonyme a dit…

I hate to think that any animal
is slaughtered for meant,but im not veggie!i espceially hate horse slaughter!!it so mean,and many young horses are sent to slaughter because they didny have 2 blue eyes or whatever!!i would never eat horse~even if i was starved!!!

Anonyme a dit…

how could you say that it is crule i have a horse thats almost 20 and he is still spunnky realy realy spunky i know it is mean. but so is killing horses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!srry but it is rude mean and dum and old horses should be let out to paster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to die alone!!!!!!!!!!srry but i think it is right

Anonyme a dit…

Horses aren't pets? Well you must not have a close relationship with your horse. My horse follows me like a dog and I only put a halter on him for shows, also I can ride him bareback without any means of controling him and he'll still do everything correct. He once saved me from someone that had been stalking me for about a year, and then found the perfect chance to do whatever they were planing when I sat on a log adout 30 miles into the woods. Well they made the mistake of touching me, the horse went nuts and ran of chasing the guy. My horse is about the only thing I care about, and I would kill anyone that messed with him, I kicked some other kids as because he took a whip to my horse while he was tied to the trailer, needless to say that was a day I went home early. My horse will not even let my family touch me when he's around, and will let no one else ride him unless I hold him when they mount. Also if I'm sitting in the field he'll come and lay down beside me with his head in my lap. Now, so horses aren't pets. Wow then I geuss dogs aren't either. And my horse, which has high bloodlines, was almost sent to the slaughter house all because has soft feet. Which isn't really that bad, just requires a little bit of extra care. But I have a loving partner to enter shows with that won't let me get hurt. Even if I fall under him he has proven he would hurt himself before me. The one time I fell under him he jumped sideways into the fence. And when he gets old I'll do without even food for myself before I'll let him do without. He will have a home untill he dies. Which I hope will be a natural death but if not then I will at least make sure it is painless. Also I was sent a horse to train, someone from the slaughter house had acctually bought it and took it home with him. But the horse had been in the slaughter house. This horse was so truamatized it took so much time to train it. We would take 1 step forward then two back. I'd never worked so hard on a horse. Well when that horse finally let me ride her, turns out she was already trained, and a show jumper at that. She ended up in the slaughter house because her rider fell off, which this was no fault of the horse. The young girl and simply slipped off. This horse used to be fearless and loving. But now she is spooky and will forever be trumatized. And god, I've never seen an animal as spooky as this. one sec. compleatly fine the next bucking and throwing herself around. This horse threw me more times than any other horse. And seeing the metal condition of this horse I have to say slaughter is wrong, and crule. And this horse had to listen as the pony she had been with was killed. I don't think that the horse will ever get over any of this. But, thank god someone saw her and got her out of there. She was head shy, afraid to be touched, afraid of other horses, would not go into small spaces, you had to open the gate all the way and tie it to the fence before she would go through and even then would shake untill she was through, she would spooke at anything, or nothing, would not let you touch her feet for the first month and even then would be so tense it was pathetic. All of these prove that slaughter houses need to be more humane. While I don't like it,if its going to happen it need to be more humane and not trumatize the horses. And would it kill someone to give a frightened horse a pat or a soothing word.

Anonyme a dit…

I think you are one of the most selfish people we have on this planet! Horses are very much like pets! I treat my horses like I treat myself! Just because a horse is old doesn't mean you can just go around sending them to slaughter hoses and killing them! Think about it! When we get old we don't kill each other! It's not right! END THE SLAUGHTER OF HORSES!!!!

Anonyme a dit…

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!? YOU THINK THAT HORSES ARE JUST LIKE CHICKENS,COWS,AND PIGS?! I DON'T THINK CHICKENS CHARGED BRAVLEY INTO BATTLE! HORSES DID! DO YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS TO FOALS THAT ARE ONLY A FEW WEEKS OLD? THEY GET EATEN. YOU'VE PROBABLY HAD ONE. YOU DIGUST ME! EATING A NEWBORN FOAL IS LIKE EATING A NEWBORN BABY! I BELIVE HORSE SLAUGHTER IS WRONG AND SHOULD END. BUT YOU PROBABLY DON'T AGREE. WELL I DON'T CARE BECAUSE I KNOW SOMEDAY I WILL HELP STOP THE TORTURE, KILLING,AND PAIN. HORSE SLAUGHTER IS WRONG!!!!! iT WILL END SOON! SO DON'T GET USED TO HAVING HORSE MEAT!

Anonyme a dit…

I think that horse abuse, slaughter, and consumption by anyone/anything is completely WRONG and heartless! Horses have contributed so much to the human race and yet, thousands of horses are being inhumanly slaughtered every year. I admit, I am a crazed horse lover and the awful thought of the fact that a horse is being slaughtered right now as I type this response sickens me. The U.S.A. has done a great thing by banning horse slaughter and I think that other countries such as Europe should do the same, but that's just me. I could go on and on about how inhuman, cruel, and heartless horse slaughter is, but I don't have enough time to do such. And I have one thing to say to you and all other horse-meat consumers out there. I have NEVER tasted horse meat and I NEVER will. I'd rather die than eat the animal that has gotten me to where I am today. Think about that next time you sit down to dine on the animal that you "love".

Anonyme a dit…

I AM SORRY, I DON'T EAT HORSE MEAT, NOR DO I EAT HUMAN MEAT, I HEAR PEOPLE SAYING EAT SOME HORSE MEAT, ITS GOOD, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING, I DON'T EAT HUMAN MEAT, I MIGHT BE MISSING SOMETHING THERE TOO.

Anonyme a dit…

IF OBAMA GETS ELECTED, WE MAY HAVE TO EAT OUR HORSE'S, JUST TO STAY ALIVE.

Anonyme a dit…

IF YOU HAVE A PROSPEROUS AND RICH COUNTRY LIKE THE USA, THEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO EAT YOUR HORSE'S IN POOR COUNTRY'S THEY HAVE TO EAT ABOUT EVERYTHING THAT CRAWLS OR MOVES, JUST TO STAY ALIVE, NOW IF THIS OBAMA GETS ELECTED, ALL THESE THINGS WILL BECOME FOOD FOR US AMERICANS

Anonyme a dit…

I love horses I will never eat horses and if you thought of the pain they go through, well that changes everything, and there is a horse breed extinct, its the East Freisian, If you want to know the truth go to www.horsefreak.wordpress.com