vendredi, février 24, 2006

Evolution in drawing styles

Based on the discussion with Othosmops in the comentary section of this article I digged out one of my older works, LOAN. It is funny how my tyle has changed since then. Loan was made in the early 1992 and first published in 1993. It has 3 reprints since then. Loan was meant to be realistic and was in the real "modelé au trait" style, with a lot of lines and black areas to shade and modelling forms.
The other series, Doudou has always been lighter, but still had a lot of lines. With the years, I decreased the amount of lines and became more clear.
When I started with Kennedy, it was pretty clear to me that the overloaded style of Loan would not fit. Still, my very first scetches of JFK show a lot af lines. With the ability to make color comics, they vanished and I now like to make shading lines with the colors.
This is a scene from the old Loan Book:

8 commentaires:

JgStephan a dit…

I am sure I would like your old book "Loan". ^^ The details are great!

mauser*girl a dit…

I loved the artwork in Loan, but you're right - more color and you don't have as much of a need to "shade" using lines.

JgStephan a dit…

Danke für die lieben Wünsche Diana! ^^

Heute(gestern) bekam ich nur eine Spritze in die Bandscheibe und es war die Hölle, aber ich habe das Krankenhaus verlassen dürfen. :) In zehn Tagen wird der "Spaß" im Krankenhaus wiederholt und wenn keine Besserung eintritt, dann werde ich operiert. Heute morgen hatte ich wieder starke Krämpfe im Bereich des Herzens und ich bekam keine Luft. Anschließend jagte eine Pechsträhne die nächste...

Auf eine gewisse Art ist es fast schon wieder lustig.

Othosmops a dit…

Holy Moses, this is veeeery well done and kinda "modélé au trait"-style, obviously! I have absolutely no experience with this kind of drawing but I guess that this style needs a lot of skill, precision and time. However it is frequent in comics (your present style is distinctive) and its main purpose is to ease the colorist's work (?)
I stole a glance on Donna Barr too (some examples in the net). Apparently you're influenced but seemingly not so much by her style but by her kind of storyboarding and her sujets. However, I'm maundering, I've only seen a few episodes by her.

mauser*girl a dit…

I'm really surprised that everyone who looks at Donna's and Diana's stuff comes to the conclusion that one is influenced by the other because they draw centaurs and such. oO It's possible to draw stuff entirely independent of each other...

Coydog a dit…

I love "modele au trait" and chapters 6-9 of UNAF and the first two chapters of GAAK (written by Darryl Hughes) were my closest attempt at this school of work. But, like Diana, I find my style is refining considerably over time. Maybe it's because of a natural learning process in which a person either learns to say more with less work or just decides to go into another direction. Even in my own case I don't quite know which.

Diana Kennedy a dit…

Othosmops, Mauser*Girl is right - I may be influenced by Doinna when it comes to the narrartion style and th graphic style, but I had my subjects years before I knew Donna at least the German soldiers and the horses (centaurs) And well, Kennedy isn't a subject that Donna does.

Coydog: Yeah, I noticed o your work that you experienced with modelé au trait style, too. I think that your present style is best. When we get practice, we don't need this much of line modelling anymore.

JgStephan a dit…

Hi Diana
Last week I had forgotten to ask, do you have tried something with the photos I had send you several weeks ago?
Don't forget, I would buy a signed "lulu" album of Empire of darkness... :)