vendredi, février 10, 2006

French soldier

It's been some time now I almost didn't draw a single French or German soldier. Never tought this would happen. But Kennedy just doens't leave me any time to do something else. But I still hope that I can pick up my old series, especially Doudou. Probably when I have a Kennedy story that isn't as hard to draw and therefore time consuming as this one. When I mean "hard" I am talking about interiors. Especially the train, the heroes are on board now. Eeeww, is that boring! But the result is also not bad, I think.
Even if I still remain a poor background-artist. There are people who do them so much better than me. Like Garen the author of the comic the rainbow orchid a captiving adventure in a perfect ligne-claire style that plays in the 20ties. Not to be missed. The series is still ongoing, but there's a huge archive to read trough, yet.

Meanwhile, I did my first French Soldier in months:

12 commentaires:

Garen a dit…

I think yo draw great backgrounds, Diana, and you really give a sense of the world that your JFK exists in. And anyway, I'm jealous of your marvellous horses and watercolours! Thank you for the links.

Simon a dit…

Une autre question Diana:

sur la planche parue aujourd'hui en français pourquoi Jackie appelle John "Jack" en bas??

Diana Kennedy a dit…

Très bone question, Dostix! ;)

En effet, les Américains ont la curieuse coutûme d'avoir pour beacoup de noms un deuxième nom. Ainsi William devient Bill (Bill Clinton s'appelle en fait William Clinton) Robert devient Bob ou Bobby (Robert Kennedy = Bobby Kennedy) Richard c'est Dick (Richard Nixon = Dick Nixon) James devient Jim ou Jimmy (James Dean = Jimmy Dean) et John... c'est Jack.
Mais si substitut de nom il ya et à quel point l'autre nom est utilisé, est individuel.
Ainsi pour Bill Clinton c'était vraiment Bill (peu de gens savent qu'il s'appelle William) alors que pour John F. Kennedy ce ne fut pas aussi évident. On dit "Jack Kennedy" relativement souvent aux USA mais John F. reste néamoins tout aussi courant.
Son entourage alternait Jack et John - et d'autres surnoms: "JFK" par exemple, était bien plus qe des initiales (à noter que les points manquent) mais bel et bien un nom d'affection, même ses proches l'appellaintent souvent JFK. Autre noms moins connues furent "Ken" ou "Johnny" dans sa jeunesse.

Dans la BD aussi, les alternent les noms.

Simon a dit…

"Ainsi William devient Bill (Bill Clinton s'appelle en fait William Clinton) Robert devient Bob ou Bobby (Robert Kennedy = Bobby Kennedy) Richard c'est Dick (Richard Nixon = Dick Nixon) James devient Jim ou Jimmy (James Dean = Jimmy Dean)"

ça je le savais...mais pour John, c'est la première fois que je vois ça.. je me coucherais moins bête ce soir.

Merci de m'avoir répondu.

mauser*girl a dit…

What are you talking about, silly - you draw wonderful backgrounds in your comics!

Coydog a dit…

OoooOOoooo.... looks delish. I don't see anything wrong with your backgrounds. You do great architectural detail!

JgStephan a dit…

You are to self-critical, all your artwork and backgrounds are great Diana!!

Othosmops a dit…

I'm desperate to second my previous speakers *harrumphes*: Your interiors and exteriors (especially the amazing integration of the railroad architecture into the landscape) are quite accurate and impressing.

Admittedly the Rainbow Orchid is even more a Ted-Benoît-like linge claire comic than the Kennedy epos and it is, of course, excellent, but yours shows a delicious drawing style as well, it attracts my phantasy/phantasies much more, and, most important - your updates are trustier by far! ;^)

Concerning the graphics styling of "living" online comic series my present favourite is the Talisman series by Barb(ara) Jacobs.

Diana Kennedy a dit…

Thank you for all your comments and encouraging. The railway and train scenes gave me a real hard time.

Othosmops, Kennedy is not ligne claire like the rainbow orchid. This is good, because ligne claire comic like rainbow orchid do REQUIRE absolutely clean and good backgrounds. Garen is able to do them.
My style is called "modelé au trait" and was used mostly in westerns (Leutnant Bluebery, as an example). But since my comic is semi-realistic I am bit more allowed to skip details and not too straight background lines are forgiven. Nevertgheless, I wish it was better.
I agree, Talisman ist of outstanding quality.

Othosmops a dit…

Blueberry is very well drawn, but this series only got a short glance by me because... nah, Western, anyway... Guys like Giraud and Franz Drappier (who I prefer due to his exotic but not fictional scenarios) do not only use their pencil to draw lines, they also use it as a shader. This usage distinguishes them from the linge claire artists and from your style too.
Guess I like your style more because I tend to draw that way too - however, compared with your skill I better should not mention that. *blushes* Better I'll check my poor knowledge about comics ... the soonest resemblance is with Frank Kuijpers although there are still great differences: While his pics remind me on a would-be fashion designer the yours come along pretty lusty and surprise with an astonishing aptitude of portraying skill and gorgeously developed characters.

Diana Kennedy a dit…

Othosmops,

"Guys like Giraud and Franz Drappier (who I prefer due to his exotic but not fictional scenarios) do not only use their pencil to draw lines, they also use it as a shader. This usage distinguishes them from the linge claire artists and from your style too."

Well yes, Tjis is why it is called "modellé au trait" (formed with lines) I have to say that originally I did exactly this. Especially when I had to limit myself to black and white. But with the time, I also was influenced by Donna Barr and my style become more clear. It is still not real ligne claire, tough, since there are some inner lines too. But I do shade now with colors.
As for the portraying skills, there are ine, it took me forwever to "catch" the likness of JFK and jackie. Most easiest was Theo, but only few notice that, since Theo's historical brother is not really well known. Norma is not really Marlyin neither, at least not the glamourous, made up star. She does look a bit like the real Norma-Jean when she was natural, tough.

Oh, you draw too? Would love to see something!

Thank you for the comments!

Othosmops a dit…

Diana,

I really like the way you're going to depict JFK and his family. I agree about Norma Jean - less glamurous but in all much more positive, likeable and easier. Her role in this story is so cool and teasing and I'm strangely looking forward what happens next!

"Oh, you draw too? Would love to see something!"

Uh,... erm... honestly I must say that I cannot recall any handmade results of my drawing hobby in the net. One reason is because I have no webspace to publish it freely (I had some until a few weeks ago - it vanished); the other one is that I have much more fun with doing 3D graphics and posting it to the relevant render communities.