vendredi, février 26, 2010

Making of "Suzanne" part 1

I am slowly renewing a bit with Life. Still thinking a lot about Gribi, but I begin to permit myself positive feelings. Especially the joy of drawing. When I woke up in the morning and saw my JFK-Photos on the wall,  I had -  for the first time after the dreadful day -  the spontaneous need to say "Good morning Jack! If the day is gonna be as beautiful as you are, Then this will be a perfect day!"

I started to make a new illustration with JFK and decided to share its progress with you here. The first pencils:

The picture is supposed to be my interpretation of one of my very favorite songs: "Suzanne" from Leonard Cohen. I imagine JFK with a Hippie-Girl at the bank of the Saint Lawrence stream. Okay, it would have been a bit early, JFK died just before the arise of the Flower-Power movement, so let's just imagine he survived and after his presidency, met with a Girl of the Bohème.

You cannot see the background very well on that scan. But there is the river, the sands of the bank, Flowers and even some trash (empty cans, bottles and so on) This is to meet the songs text where it says "and she shows you where to look, amid the garbage and the flowers".
I also feel that this adds to th melancholy of the scenery. Indeed, the sixties were like this: Still a lot of wild places and nature, but also a lot of pollution, since no one heard about recycling or environmental care back then.  It is this impression of the "tainted paradise" I want to catch.

As soon as the next step is made on this art, I'll post about it.

3 commentaires:

Feronia a dit…

I don't think anyone really cared about the environment in that way until the publishing of "Silent Spring" did they? I love the drawing and I love the song "Suzanne". Have you heard the Judy Collins version? Have you seen the tv show Mad Men? Jack with the Hippie Girl makes me think of Don Draper with the Beatnik Midge on that show.

Weidenfrau a dit…

schöne Idee uns am Entstehen dieses Bildes teilhaben zu lassen. Ich freue mich darauf zu sehen wie es sich entwickelt.
Schön das es dir besser geht !

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@Feronia. Yes, I know the Judy Collins version and even a lot others. The song was one of the most covered by a various singers.

@Weidenfrau: Danke! Vielleicht bringt der Frühling uns allen ja wieder etwas mehr Licht in den Alltag.