mercredi, mars 17, 2010

Back to the garden.

Finally the days get warmer and I am back in the garden.  I started to build the fence. I use the things I find in the barn, for I can't go to specialized stores without a car...


Here you can see lots of  Earth piles made by moles in the background of the fence...
Honestly. I don't have anything against moles. I know that they eat the white grubs which are a real pest over here. But they also eat the regular worms and they destroy plantations with their tunnels. This year,  the population is so dense that I can't bear it anymore. I asked the nice neighbor, to whom I will give the code name "Mr. Whitebeard" in this Blog, to set up Mole traps in my garden. I hate to do this, but they are really too much.

I also planted Roses around Gribis Grave. When alive, Gribi liked so very much to sleep at the foot of our roses. So I think, he will like it.

Also tried to tie down my big blackberry plant. Well, I tried. This monster has grown canes of 3 and more meters long and attempts to attack the Raspberries in the neighborhood. So I dressed up poles tied together with wire on which I tied the canes of the Beast.
But I love this brute. It yielded so much Blackberries last year and will yield even more this year, if the weather is halfway good.
Yay for the new garden season!

10 commentaires:

Susan Erickson a dit…

Interesting to see that your garden looks very similiar to mine right now. I always think that we are so far behind here in Canada. Finally the birds are singing in the morning. It's spring!

Bodecea a dit…

Jaaaa, es wird Frühling! Ich kämpfe hier auch geradee wieder gegen die (wilde) Brombeeren, die droht, Haus und Hof zu verschlingen. Für Beeren gibt es hier unendlich viel wilde Büsche im Umfeld; im Spätsommer sammel ich die Beeren, friere sie ein und püriere sie mit Milch als "Natur-Eis".

Bodecea

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@Susan: Well, due to the exceptional long winter, our nature is aprox. 2 weeks behind shedule, that may be the reason my garden looks like yours in Canada!
But indeed, Spring is coming!

@Bodecea: Wilde Brombeeren sind dazu auch noch saustachelig! Die muss man scho im Zaun halten, auch wenn deren Früchte in der tat auch ganz lecker sind. Ich trinke eine solchermassen erhaltene Milch meist gleich als "Milchshake"

President Snow a dit…

Seems like you got a bit of work there. I like work outside though. It's fun being outside.

Dryade a dit…

einen lieben frühlings Gruß von der Dryade die heute auch zum ersten Mal in diesem Jahr im Garten gewühlt hat :-) .
Allerdings habe ich mir die Brombeeren für morgen aufgespart *zwinker*.

Sefarina a dit…

Dein Garten sieht jetzt schon wunderschön aus, ich bin gespannt wie der Sommer wird.

Maulwürfe sind süß und kuschelig, aber auch eine Plage, wenn sie den gesamten Garten unterkellern. Wir hatten damals Lebendfallen und haben die schwarzen Samtmäntel auf einer fernen Wiese ausgesetzt. Natürlich ist das einiges aufwändiger und nicht immer machbar...

Die Sache mit den Rosen finde ich übrigens ganz zauberhaft

Feronia a dit…

Your garden is looking a lot like mine too, Diana. Perhaps because it is that "in-between" period in both hemispheres - not quite fully autumn here and not quite fully spring for you.

That's a lovely idea with the roses :)

Blackberries are regarded as a noxious weed here and so they are routinely sprayed by the council. This pains me because while they do grow profusely, they produce something people can eat which I don't think should ever be destroyed. I'd love to have one in the yard. How I remember with delight picking and eating blackberries with Bodecea and WirrLicht as we wandered through the forest the last time we were in Germany!

Magaly Guerrero a dit…

I wish lots of fun starting your new garden. I won't be able to plant one this year, so think of me when you're working on yours.

Geier a dit…

ich bin ja sooo neidisch! Ich hab zum ersten Mal in meinem Leben einen Sommer ohne Garten vor mir...

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@ President Snow. Especially artists need tohave an outside activity. We tend to stick glued on a drawing board all day long, otherwise.

@Dryade: Viel Spass mit Euren Brombeeren! Den Frühlingsgruss gebe ich gerne zurück.

@Sefarina: Lebendfallen wären sicher eine Alternative, doch wo ich solche dazu noch autolos herbekomen soll. So wird es wohl auf die Zwangsentleibung hinauslaufen.

@Feronia: "spray" the blackberries ? You mean poison them? That is bad. It may be harmful to the environment and as you said, killing food providing plants is not acceptable. They could cut them back.
@Magaly: You must certainly miss a lot of rural life in N.Y.

@Geier: das hört sich gar nicht gut an. Ich dachte, Du bist schon seit länger in dieser Wohnung. Ich würde es nicht aushalten :-(