samedi, mars 27, 2010

Fonts and Drawings

This night, like every year in the season, we will loose an hour to this stupid and useless thing called Daylight saving time.

I will not start to rant about that, for I would not finish before the end of DST in autumn.

Since it is rainy outside, I spent more time in the house, working on my actual projects. I got a lot of work done, on the films, but also on the Europareise Book.

Here, I am still not sure if I am on the right way. I use a somehow "handwriting font" for the text, for it fits more an illustrated Storybook (in my opinion).
But in the other hand, I fear that this way (the font an the huge amount of illustrations) will let it appear too much as a "children's book" -  keeping adults from reading it.

I have this problem anyway: People always tend to think that I am doing Drawings and books for children. This is in no way the case. Children usually even aren't very attracted from my drawings.
So I am insecure which way I finally should go. If I take an normal Book Font, it looks odd in my eyes, for there are too many illustrations then.

8 commentaires:

Sefarina a dit…

Also ich persönlich würde dir ja von einer Handwrite ganz dringend abraten und lieber eine passende Antiqua suchen. Ich wollte mich eh endlich mal per Mail bei dir melden (verzeih dass ich so trödle), vielleicht kann ich dich ja überzeugen ;-)

Liebe Grüße,
Sefa

Diana Kennedy a dit…

Nimm Dir Zeit. Ich höre mir Argumente immer gerne an und lasse mich ggf auch überzugen. :-)

President Snow a dit…

To me your drawings don't seem to be aimed at children. Also, I know over here, in the states, children's books tend to have a more simple printed font.

Personally, I prefer a more handwritten, fancy font myself if I were reading a book. With the kind of stuff you do, I think a handwritten font adds to the atmosphere! :)

Feronia a dit…

I think this is often a problem with illustrated novels and so on. Certainly I have read that Posy Simmonds experiences a similar problem. Your work really doesn't strike me as being directed at children, though. It's too sophisticated for kids.

Gina a dit…

Twice a year, I complain about Daylight Savings Time—when it begins and when it ends. Instead of letting Nature gently increase or decrease the seasons, we are radically thrust into them and are left unbalanced for weeks. I think it began during WW2 to save electricity and also allow people to work in their vegetable gardens longer. But those reasons don’t exist anymore and I wonder why we continue it when no one loves the idea.

I like the font you have chosen works; it is easy to read but does not look like a children’s book. Very nice drawing, too!

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@President Snow: I personally would really prefer the handwritten font, but I also know that several people have their difficults with it, and well, I have to fit the readers taste, not mine. So we will see...

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@Feronia, yes, the problem is common.

@Gina: The argument is still saving energy - although it has ben proven that DLT doesn't have any notable effect. So I guess hat they don't draw it back because they don't want to admit a fault in the first and secondly, all states should do that and that needs negotiating.

Geier a dit…

Es gibt doch zigtausende von Fonts, da kannst dir die jeweils passende raussuchen. Man muß sich ja nicht auf eine festlegen, gerade bei der Europareise sind wechselnde Schriften vielleicht ganz reizvoll.