mardi, avril 27, 2010

Project52 - 17 Flower Power


In my early presidency days, which were known as a short,  happy and mellow time, I putted a lot of efforts in working out the Garden of the White House to my taste: A lawn as soft as a cloud, Flowers, Flowers and even more Flowers.  Some  magazines made illustrated stories about "The garden of John F. Kennedy". Once I said to a journalist that, maybe, I will be referred in history Books as the "President of Flowers" and if so, then it would not be a bad thing.
Well, I did not go into history as the Flower President, as we all know. I became famous for Cuba, both the invasion and the crisis, Berlin, my Sex-Life and finally for my death. You have to be deeply involved in the knowledge of my biography to be aware of my love for flowers.
I like big, spectacular flowers, like Magnolias, Tulips, Roses and Lillies. Diana called her Magnolia tree that grows in front of her house "JFK". A Rose Breed is also named after me.

It has been discussed whether or not I would have liked the Flower Power Movement. Some believe I would, for I was always interested in new ideas and especially the idea of a whole generation being dedicated to peace would have appealed to me. Others say, that I was too much fond of a decent and conservative environment to have me running trough the streets in ragged cloths and flowers in the hair.
Well, those who know me well can guess it: Both sides are right. I'd wear the flowers with my suit!

8 commentaires:

caroona a dit…

Wow! I love the light effects, his face and the flower close to him look really mystical.

I very much agree with him, nobody has to belong to one group only or fit into one tiny box. Just be yourself, whatever others think is the only right way.

Mauser*Girl a dit…

I am surprised that so many people view or remember the Flower Power Movement as "a whole generation being dedicated to peace."

Flower Power wasn't actually a movement but a slogan used by war protesters and hippies, two of the counterculture movements of the 1960s and 1970s. And they were just that, counter-culture. Not everyone. Just a portion.

I'm surprised that, whenever anyone talks about the 60's, the counterculture of the decade is in the forefront and everything else is just kind of pushed aside. It makes me wonder how people will remember the 90s? Or even this decade? It's certainly a skewed perception.

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@Mauser*Girl, I actually grew up in the era and my family members who where "hippies" actually did talk about the "flower power movment" and "the generation of peace". It is a whole other thing if that is true from an objective point of view. I am talking about people's view.

And of course, it was a counter-culture.

Feronia a dit…

What a lovely image of you, Mr President. I had no idea. You're right, though - this is not how you're remembered, which is a shame.

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@Feronia: Yes, unfortunately.

Gina a dit…

Very neat! I hadn’t thought about the connection of flowers and JFK before. And I think you are correct—JFK was very attractive to the young people and they to him. When I was working on my novel, I pictured him through the rest of the 1960’s growing his hair a bit longer and getting some John Lennon reading glasses (as opposed to those standard-issue black ones).

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@Gina: That story of yours sound pretty interesting. I think we can assume that JFK would have let grow his hair longer if he lived, he already grew it longer during his presidency. Look at the photos. The forelock is much heavier at the end, then at the beginning.

Gina a dit…

That’s an interesting thought, Diana. JFK’s hair and his brothers, too, were always a stand-out from the crew cut styles of the time. Looking at photos of him in the Senate, sometimes it seemed like his hair was longer than when he was President.
Yes, I was involved in writing or thinking about my novel for years and years! Sometimes, visiting your blog I almost feel like going back and actually finishing it. It was such a huge challenge and the plot so complicated that I could not finish it. I’ve taken that lesson “finish what you start (or you might be overwhelmed or lose interest)” over to art and actually complete more art projects than I ever did writing projects.