mardi, juillet 27, 2010

Strange holes

The last last couple of times I went to town with my bicycle, I noticed tiny little holes in the earthy road I take  trough the fields and forests. Little holes surrounded by fine sands, the sands that were thrown out by whatever creature dug the hole. Sort of mini-mini mole-hills.

There were just one or two of them, so I didn't think about them further. But they become more and more each time I passed on that place and this morning, it was not to be overlooked anymore:


I'm starting to wonder what it actually is. Probably some sort of alien mutant worms that start their deadly invasion of the planet right at this place.
No seriously, does anyone know what kind of insect or something does this digging? The soil looks like a hunk of swiss cheese.

6 commentaires:

mausergirl a dit…

It's hard to wager a guess without having a size comparison. These might be a lot bigger than they appear in the pictures. If they're relatively small, my guess would be ants.

Sefarina a dit…

Ich hätte jetzt auch auf Ameisen getippt, so ähnliche Erdhügel hatten wir in der Auffahrt, aber so viel davon hab ich noch nie gesehn...

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@Mauser*Girl: These are REALLY tiny: Maximum 3 centimeter of diameter for a sand-pile and the hole in the middle may be not more than 4 millimeters.

@Sefarina: Ich glaube auch, Ihr habt recht mit den Ameisen.

Feronia a dit…

I think they might be ants.

2woelfe a dit…

I thought it might also be field mice. Those holes are bigger when the little things com out, but then fall to a smaller size due to the weight of the sand. But 3 cm - that's really just too tiny.
But a camera there in the early morning! :)

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@2Woelfe: The holes are defintely too tiny for field mice, tough they look very similar, indeed.

@Feronia: I also think that it's ants, now.