vendredi, janvier 07, 2011

Killing in the Morning

Shortly after I got up in the morning, I heard a desperate and loud twittering in the kitchen. Pico, Benni and Winzy were after a mouse. Benni was the one to catch it. He growled like an angry Pitbull with the prey between his jaws - it was impossible to take it away from him. So I had to "endure" the fact that they played with the dead mouse for two hours. 
Its the same each winter. Cold drives the mice out of the basement, in search for food and warmth. Not a real good idea in a house inhabited by 6 cats.
Its cruel, but like most country people I am happy that my cats are hunters. I hate them mice invading the house and the food stock.

4 commentaires:

caroona a dit…

Ganz ehrlich, ich bin auch total stolz auf meine beiden, wenn sie bei der Jagd erfolgreich waren. Die Nachbarn, die immer so meckern, dass sie bei ihenen durch den Garten tapern, sollten sich mal freuen, dass hier dauernd irgendwelche Ratten abgemurkst werden.

Sefarina a dit…

Schlecht für die Maus, aber selbst als Mäusehalter möchte ich keine Mäuse in der Küche haben. In Ermangelung einer Katze würde ich eben zu Lebendfallen greifen und sie an einem schnuckeligen Platz aussetzen...

mausergirl a dit…

At least your kitties kill the mice!

My intrepid kitties will chase the mice, and carry the mice, but not actually kill them. Which means they usually drop them somewhere and then the mice scurry off and hide somewhere, like behind the bookshelf or under the freezer.

I'm usually the one who gets to kill them, lucky me. I did try catching them and putting them outside (which is not difficult once they're stunned and soaking wet from having been played with by a cat) but the little bastards found their way right back into the house. So now I kill them instead.

Feronia a dit…

I do see what you're saying but I must say I also feel sorry for the mice!