dimanche, juillet 10, 2011

Farewell to Georgie

While I am writing this, I still can't believe that that I have to write it.

A few hours ago all was still normal.
I was working in the kitchen. The cats were playing in the house, running up and downstairs. Suddenly, I heard a loud moaning. I first thought that there was a fight, because it sounded a bit like the groan a cat makes when facing a stranger cat. I looked at the staircase from where the noise came. Winzy was there, looking at something upstairs. His hair wasn't fuzzed up, so I realized that it was not him moaning nor was he angry. I climbed upstairs and saw little Georgie lying down on the floor, gasping and trembling, with eyes that stare trough me. I took him in my arms, cried, called for mom, carried him into the living room, where I sat down with him, holding him tight. He did a last few breaths and then died in my arms.

I can't describe the shock. He was perfectly fine this morning and all these days before. Not a single sign of illness. His hair was silky and shiny as always and his behavior perfectly normal. It looks like he was playing - like every morning - and during play, had a sudden heart failure.
Georgie was 11, this would equal to 60 years of a human.
Really, it reminds me of these cases we probably all heard of :   60 year old man, perfectly healthy, who did his daily run, wasn't overweighted and didn't smoke dies of a sudden heart-attack. And its so unexpected and a shock for all. I guess this just happens. With humans and cats.

I am aware of the fact that Georgie had a good fate. He didn't suffer long, he enjoyed life until his last moments. He never experienced how it is to loose his physical strength, to weaken and get down slowly.
Still, it hurts terribly.

I got Georgie as a tiny little kitten together with his sister Millie in 2000. The kittens took the place of the then departed Johnny Oddeye, a Cat I had for 15 years.
Georgie was always very kind, playful and sort of the family clown. I barely ever saw him angry or in whatever negative mood. With the ecxeption of  Gribis death, when he was obviously  mourning. Now we are mourning for him. This is the least thing I thought would happen today. Good Bye, Georgie, you will be missed so very very much...

7 commentaires:

Diandra a dit…

I am sorry to hear this. Good luck for Georgie on his further journey...

Karan a dit…

Oh no! Such sad news...

Dryade a dit…

ohje :-( Denke feste an dich!! Ganz liebe Grüße und gute Wünsche von der Dryade

Geier a dit…

Dito!
Traurig, aber immerhin ist es schnell gegangen...

Sefarina a dit…

Ohje, so ein Schock. Ich wünsche ihm eine gute Weiterreise, euch alles Liebe, und hoffe die anderen Katzen verkraften den Schreck bald.

Feronia a dit…

So sad to read this, Diana. Thinking of you.

Diana Kennedy a dit…

Thank you all for your compassion. I'm still very sad, but I also think that at least, it was a quick and he had a good life.