mardi, juillet 31, 2012

Cure

I am on my thermal cure for 3 days now. I skipped today, because we had to drive to Epinal for our monthly shopping. The director of the institution wasn't happy and barely allowed me to make a cut. But I had no choice. Attending the cure at morning and doing the shopping afternoon would have been too much exhausting for me. Because this cure *is* really exhausting.

I dunno if I am blasphemous here, but I'm wondering how much  - or if at all - such a cure really does work.
Yes, it actually feels good.  I do enjoy these hot baths, hot mud, the underwater-showers and massage treatments. But is there an effect beyond having fun, feeling comfortable and meeting other people to whom you can talk about your pains and problems?

Okay, it's paid by health insurance, so one would expect that success is tested. Is it really? Or is it merely a fashion from the 19 century,  when elder ladies who had enough money offered themseves 3 weeks out of the house, away from the husband, getting a bit spoiled? Is Health Insurance just paying because Cures should no longer be a privilege of the rich ones?

 The other alternative, questionning the effectiveness of the cure, would ruin the business of thermal stations which is probably more destructive and expensive than to pay for ineffective cures.

Don't get me wrong: I don't want to say, that it IS ineffective. And again, I enjoy the treatments. Even if, to be honest right now, I have more back pain than before. (??)

I just would like to know what is the part of proven science here and what is the believing part.

Does anybody have experience in the matter, maybe some parents who go to thermal cures?

1 commentaire:

Sefarina a dit…

Gute Frage.
Ich könnte dir bei Kräuterbädern helfen, aber ob warmes Wasser tatsächlich etwas bringt - keine Ahnung.
Natürlich ist die Hauptsache, dass es dir nachher (langfristig) besser geht.