samedi, juillet 07, 2012

Lightning

I'm not sure how to begin this. It was saturday, a week ago. Mom and I watched TV. There was a thunderstorm outside. I didn't perceive it as particulary strong or fierce or whatever. I went into the kitchen to boil me up dome water for a tea. Then: An enormeous blast. All blinding white light in the rooom, I felt like being thrown backwards by a force that seemed to come out of the wall. My mom came running in, crying and screaming, repeating that she was so grateful I was alive. Well, I still didn't get what actually happened. A nuclear strike? At least it felt like that. Whole house started to stink of burnt plastic and cables. We looked around to see if there was a fire, but didn't find one. I stepped outside. So did a lot of the neighbors. Mrs Whitebeard pointed her finger at the house next to mine. The roof had a big fat hole in it, the ceilings broken and widespread all around or broken on the ground. A deep, straight vertical crack in the wall where once the telephone cable was installed. The lightning went down here, Mrs. Whitebeard said. On the street dozens of debris. All these boxes mounted on the poles that held the telephone cables had exploded. Every one, all the street long. I went back in the house. No power, no electric light. Should have guessed so. Then I found the source of the stink: our in-house telephone line was burnt. The plugging station was in pieces. Torn appart and melted. Okay. So lightning struck the neighbors house and then, using the telephone net, destroyed the lines and devices in all the neighborhood. Some people could restore their power quickly. Not us. So our direct neighbor helped us out by dragging a long csble into our house, so we could use his power. For a little light and cooking. This was extremely nice of him. Next day workers came and fixed electricity. Telephone line should be fixed next monday. Meanwhile I go online with my Ipad and a prepay 3G SIM card. Several of our devices are heavily damaged. No TV. It came as a miracle that my Computer hasn't took more than an USB port blewed up. Insurance is informed. Step by step damage will be fixed and things can be replaced. What lasts is the psychological fallout: I used to be not afraid of thunderstorms. Now I am. Fuck, yes It scared out the shit of me and I will hide under the bed next time. Because its not true that lightning always goes for church towers. It can decide to just destroy a house randomly, without apparent reason. Fortunately, said house is currently empty. The owner has moved into a home for elderly people. Damages within the house itself are considerable and I doubt that a person there in during impact would have gotten away without any injury.

7 commentaires:

Geier a dit…

Da hast du nochmal Glück gehabt. Dieses Gewitter ist hier auch durchgezogen, ich habe sofort den Stecker aus meinem Computer gezogen falls ein Blitz hier reinhaut - das letze was ich brauche ist ein durchgebrannter Rechner.
Gibts bei euch keine Blitzableiter?

Diana Kennedy a dit…

Diese alten Haeuser hier haben in der Regel alle keine Blitzableiter. Jederman troestete sich mit "der Blitz schlaegt immer in den Kirchturm" was auch meistens der Fall war. Nun aber werde ich mich ueber Blitzableiter informieren. Einmal reicht.
.

Zachia a dit…

Hier im Ort hat es auch großen Schaden gegeben..Blitzeinschlag hatten wir auch hier in der Naehe zum Gllueck hatte das betreffende ebaeude seinen Blitzableiter... Ein Glueck das bei euch niemand zu Schaden kam...eigentlich ein Wunder.

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@Zachia. Ja, wobei es aber trotzdem zu einer Verletzung kam. Eine Frau aus der Nachbarschaft sass zum Zeitpunkt des Einschlages in der Naehe der Telefonbuchse. Die Flamme, die aus der Buchse schoss hat ihr Verbrennungen am Bein zugefuegt.
So wie es aussieht war dieses Gewitter in weiten Teilen Europas aktiv. Wie bereits geschrieben, hatte ich es erst gar nicht als so heftig wahrgenommen.

Feronia a dit…

Oh Diana! I've just caught up with your news. I'm so glad you're ok.

Diana Kennedy a dit…

Thanks Feronia. I'm well so far.

Bodecea a dit…

Boah, echt krass! Gut, dass bei euch nix Schlimmes pasiert ist!