dimanche, novembre 11, 2012

Dangerous characters


In my last post I mentioned the importance of avoiding any logic mistake when creating new facts and events that shall be part of the history in an alternate universe.

Another hot topic is the identity of the characters, especially when it comes to those inspired by real persons.
I try to keep as much as possible of the individual traits of historical figures.
Even tough they live in a different world where they have different lives, with different or altered events happening to them, they are still supposed to act according to their basic personality. Of course, the latter can only be guessed, despite of all research done.

Most of my character's real alter egos are dead by now and have the status of historical personalities. Artistic freedom lets me pretty much render each figure as I please, without the fear of negative consequences.

But in the storyline I told about in my last post, there's an exception:


This man's real model is actually still alive.
And he's not nice. Neither in my story, nor in reality. He's a murderer.

So for the first time I ask myself questions like:

Should I draw him in the way one can recognize him? Is it wise to use his real name?
As I said, he's a killer - and he was released from prison years ago hence theoretically, he could get me.

I know its very, very unlike that he gets aware of my book. My stuff has such a little distribution and is read by barely a handful of people. It's probably safe to assume that it will not make its way down to Italy and end up in the hands of this guy.

But what if it does anyway? There *are* such nasty coincidences, you know.
An then, if he doesn't like what he sees ?... And there are damn good chances he won't.
He may get upset and decides to give his former career a relaunch. he googles my adress, comes into my house and does on me what he did on Signore more than 30 years ago.

That would be oh so utterly uncool.
so what shall I do? pick up a fictive name, maybe an anagram? change his likeness? Or just keep name and look, because there's no reason he should make any exception. And after all, we are just talking about former Red Brigade members, not the fundamentalist supporters of a certain Religion. Said brigadists are probably not this easily offended by art.

Either way. If, after my book is out, my lead-filled body is found in the trunk of a car, please give police a hint by showing them this blog. Thanks.




  

5 commentaires:

Geier a dit…

Zumindest in DLand gibt es das Persönlichkeitsrecht, man darf nicht einfach real existierende Personen für sowas verwenden - das kann durchaus vor Gericht enden wenn derjenige sich verleumdet oder sonstwie angepisst fühlt.
Ich würde immer Name, Gesicht und Örtlichkeit verfremden.

Diana Kennedy a dit…

Wobei dieses Recht bei Personen der Zeitgeschichte eingeschränkt ist. Ob besagter Typ wirklich in diese Kategorie fällt, ist aber unklar.

Bodecea a dit…

Ich würde ein Pseudonym verwenden, wenn du nicht gerade eine Reportage schreibst. Eine Ähnlichkeit dürfte dagegen keine Rolle spielen.

Diana Kennedy a dit…

@Bodecea: ja, ich habe mich mittlerweile auch definitiv für ein Pseudonym und eine nur lockere Ähnlichkeit entschlossen. Ist wohl definitiv besser. Auch den Namen des Terrorkommandos ändere ich leicht ab.

Carlin a dit…

Hallo
Ich bin gerade dabei ein Hexenmagazin zu starten und wir suchen noch Leute, die gerne Artikel schreiben... Hättest du Interesse? Dann melde dich bei inelinja@gmail.com
xoxo
Carlin