jeudi, novembre 15, 2012

Drawing Signore



...Its as hard as it was to learn to draw JFK.
But both are not as hard as Eleeanor Roosevelt.

Just like those of  JFK, the available Photos of Signore are from a wider timeframe, therefore his face changes from pic to pic.  On some of them, he's a bit chubby, on others very thin and sometimes he appears even pretty meager.  
I had to make a pick. This immediately narrowed the available choice.
I took the photos from his later days. There he looks best and after all, my story also features him in his last days, so no use to draw him as a youngster.

Fom a graphical point of view, this age is the most difficult. You can't render all his folds. It would make him look too old. But when I don't draw them at all, he looks too young. A balance is difficult to find.

But Signore also has his gifts for artists willing to draw him. Such as the fluffy white shock of hair on the top of his dark haired front. 
Especially in his elderly days, When he had let his hair grow, this teasing "mèche" does the same job as John F. Kennedys famed forelock. And then there's of course the - ahm - impressive italian nose. Makes him an immediatly recognizable Character. But still, he's extremely hard to draw. I'm pretty struggeling. 

Well, he doesn't have to match the real likeness up to 100 % after all. My book is fiction. Most people probably  won't mind  incohrences. But I truly wish I could render his gentle eyes and his heartwarming smile. Somehow. 

I manage to draw him fairly from a photo. But a fictional book requires new poses without any model, where he still should be reciognizable.

From a famed Photo.


Out from the Book: Feeling the danger.


For the Book. The ultimate moment.

Aucun commentaire: